Gargoyle geckos (Rhacodactylus auriculatus) make great pets.
If you are ready to keep a gargoyle gecko, you will need to find a breeder. Like always, make sure you only buy a captive-bred animal.
Wild-caught lizards are difficult to care for and most will not adapt to captivity.
For a complete guide to enclosure setup, feeding, daily care and breeding,
check out my Gargoyle Gecko Care Sheet
- 1. Alabama
- 2. Alaska
- 3. Arizona
- 4. Arkansas
- 5. California
- 6. Colorado
- 7. Connecticut
- 8. Delaware
- 9. Florida
- 10. Georgia
- 11. Hawaii
- 12. Idaho
- 13. Illinois
- 14. Indiana
- 15. Iowa
- 16. Kansas
- 17. Kentucky
- 18. Louisiana
- 19. Maine
- 20. Maryland
- 21. Massachusetts
- 22. Michigan
- 23. Minnesota
- 24. Mississippi
- 25. Missouri
- 26. Montana
- 27. Nebraska
- 28. Nevada
- 29. New Hampshire
- 30. New Jersey
- 31. New Mexico
- 32. New York
- 33. North Carolina
- 34. North Dakota
- 35. Ohio
- 36. Oklahoma
- 37. Oregon
- 38. Pennsylvania
- 39. Rhode Island
- 40. South Carolina
- 41. South Dakota
- 42. Tennessee
- 43. Texas
- 44. Utah
- 45. Vermont
- 46. Virginia
- 47. Washington
- 48. West Virginia
- 49. Wisconsin
- 50. Wyoming
There are no breeders specifically for gargoyle geckos currently located in Alaska. If you are an Alaskan gargoyle gecko breeder, please contact us today to be added to the list!
Moonshine Reptiles is located in Payson. They offer some great striped geckos like black and white or orange pattern on a white base.
Calico Rhacs is located in Calico Rock. They have bred reptiles for years, but gargoyle geckos are a new addition to their breeding collection. They have some great orange striped geckos. They can only be found on Morph Market.
- Lick Your Eyeballs is located in Castro Valley. They specialize in New Caledonian geckos. They have some great genes like skeleton, blotched, and super stripe.
- Killer Clutches is located in Chico. They produce some great geckos including orange, blotched, and striped.
- Koala’s Geckos is located in Irvine. They have some great morphs like yellow base, orange, reticulated, and super blotch. They show the pictures of the parents on the listing of their geckos so you know what your gecko may look like. They can be found on Morph Market and Instagram.
- Ensō Reptiles is located in Colorado Springs. They have some great stripe and dorsal blotch geckos.
- Guiliana’s Geckos is located in Windsor. They have some great black and white striped geckos along with dorsal blotch.
Connecticut doesn’t have any breeders online. If you are a breeder in the state, please contact us to be added.
Delaware doesn’t have any gargoyle gecko breeders. If you are a breeder in the state, please contact us.
- Gravidy’s Geckos is located in St. Cloud. They take special care to make sure their geckos are healthy and happy. They also offer isopods and springtails if you want to make a bioactive enclosure for your gecko. They have striped and dorsal blotch geckos. You can find them on Morph Market and Instagram.
- 6th Day Creatures is located in Royal Palm Beach. They offer striped geckos in bold colors.
- Boop the Snoot is located in Orlando. They focus entirely on gargoyle geckos. They have some great examples of orange, super blotch, and aberrant stripe. You can find them on Morph Market.
- Tom Bailey Reptiles is located in Boca Raton. They have some great high orange and super stripe geckos. You can find them on Morph Market.
RisingSunExotics is located in Sugar Hill. They have some great orange and reticulated pattern geckos.
Gargoyle geckos are not legal in Hawaii. There are no native geckos in Hawaii and it is not legal to bring any in since there are already introduced geckos found in the urban areas of the islands.
There are no gargoyle gecko breeders in Idaho, but there are some close to the border in Utah. If you are a breeder in the state, please contact us on facebook to be added to the list.
- Zadistic Exoticz is located in Metropolis. They have striped geckos and orange. They can be found on Morph Market.
- Freaky Leachies is located in Volo. They offer blotch, reticulated, and striped geckos. They can be found on Morph Market, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Calhoun Reptiles, LLC is located in Aurora. They have some great reticulated and striped geckos. They can be found on Morph Market.
- Green Stuff Exotics is located in Noblesville. They have some great striped geckos and have orange and yello for pattern colors. You can find them on Morph Market and Facebook.
Iowa doesn’t have many breeders online, but you can find breeders at reptile expos in the state. If you are a breeder who sells online in the state, please contact us.
- Artful Auriculatus is located in Kansas City. They have great reticulated and striped geckos.
- Saurian Enterprises Inc. is also located in Kansas City. They specialize in striped and blotched geckos.
There are no gargoyle gecko breeders in Kentucky, but there are numerous breeders in nearby states.
The law is a bit unclear on whether you need a permit for gargoyle geckos, so contact your local government to learn if you need one for your pet.
There are no breeders specifically for gargoyle geckos in the state. Most breeders in the state seem to focus on crested geckos.
There are no breeders for gargoyle geckos in the state. Since they are not specifically listed in the exemptions for permits, it may be difficult to acquire a gargoyle gecko in the state.
There are no breeders specifically in Maryland, but there are reptile shows in the state. You can also buy from Capital Geckos in Washington, DC. They focus on the health of their animals with a science-based approach. They have striped and reticulated gargoyle geckos. A few of their breeders have the phantom eye gene, but this takes a few years to develop so your gecko may or may not have the trait.
- Cold Blooded Pets, LLC is located in Acushnet. They have striped geckos for sale and have a brick-and-mortar shop if you would prefer to buy your gecko in person.
- Haneisen Premium Reptiles is located in Fitchburg. It is owned by a person who has bred reptiles for over 25 years and works as a writer and editor for Reptile Magazine. They have super blotch geckos. You can find them on Morph Market, Instagram, and Twitter.
Cosmic Exotics is located in Royal Oak just north of Detroit. They specialize in high-color gargoyle geckos. You can get super blotch, super stripe, reticulated, and banded geckos from them with bright colors and great health.
There are no breeders of gargoyle geckos in Mississippi. If you are a breeder in the state, please contact us to be added to the list.
- Show Me Gex is located in Jefferson City. They have striped and reticulated geckos.
- Tailspinz Geckos is located in St. Louis. Most of their breeders are striped, but they do have a few with other patterns that may show up in their babies. They focus on good care and will answer any questions to make sure their babies go to good homes.
There are no online breeders for gargoyle geckos in the state. You may need to look further out or find a reptile expo.
There are no online breeders in the state. The most reliable source for gargoyle geckos in the state is the reptile expos.
29. New Hampshire
- CV Exotics Inc. is located in Hampstead. They offer striped and reticulated geckos.
- NERD is located in Plaistow. They offer gargoyle geckos on occasion, just make sure you only buy captive-bred animals.
30. New Jersey
- BB’s Crested Geckos is located in Jackson Township. They have reticulated and striped geckos.
- C&M Gargs is located in Buena Vista Township. They have many genes available like red base, striped, and reticulated. You can find them on Morph Market.
- Leapin’ Leachies is located in Ringwood. They have striped geckos and specialize in many gecko species as well.
31. New Mexico
BH Exotix is located in Los Lunas. They have striped geckos and show the pictures of the parents in the listing. You can find them on Morph Market.
32. New York
- HS Crested Geckos is located in Westhampton. They have some great striped geckos and send a care guide with every gecko. You can also find them on Morph Market.
- Doc’s Herpetofauna is located in Sparrow Bush. It is run by a veterinarian and focuses on creating healthy animals. They have striped geckos. You can purchase from them on Morph Market.
- The Barking Gecko is located in Newburgh. they have striped, reticulated, and dorsal blotch geckos. They also have a creamsicle line of white and orange geckos.
33. North Carolina
- Steadfast Lizards is located in Chapel Hill. They have striped and blotched geckos.
- Bergies geckoyles is located in Gibsonville. They have striped, skeleton, dorsal blotch, and super blotch geckos. You can find them on Morph Market.
34. North Dakota
North Dakota does not have specific gargoyle gecko breeders. You may want to seek out a reptile show.
- Odyssey Exotics is located in Ohio City. They offer striped geckos.
- Zupi Reptiles is located in Columbus. They offer striped geckos and pictures of the parents can be found on their Facebook.
Texoma Reptile Store is located in Lawton. They have quad stripe, stripe, and reticulated geckos.
Kats Crested Creatures is located in Siletz. They offer striped, banded, and reticulated geckos. They also have phantom eye and will sell adults with the trait occasionally. You can find them on Morph Market and Instagram.
- Rhac’s on Geckovania is located in Tunkhannock. They have reticulated, striped, and banded gargoyle geckos. You can find them on Morph Market, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Red Rhac is located in Pittsburgh. They have striped and reticulated geckos. You can find them on Morph Market.
39. Rhode Island
There are no specific gargoyle gecko breeders in the state. You may need a permit to own one, so check your local laws. If they are legal, you can check out a reptile show.
40. South Carolina
41. South Dakota
South Dakota does not have any gargoyle gecko breeders online. You may want to check out reptile shows to find your new pet.
The Phantom Gecko is located in Chattanooga. They have many patterns like striped, reticulated, and mosaic. They also have the phantom eye gene and regularly sell adults with the trait already showing.
- Rhac N Roll is located in Austin. They have yellow base animals and a few patterns. You can find them on Morph Market, Instagram, and Twitter.
- KDJ Geckos is located in Allen. They have striped, blotch, and reticulated gargoyle geckos. You can find them on Morph Market, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Hail the Scale is located in Houston. They have stripe, reticulated, and white base geckos. You can find them on Morph Market and Facebook.
Gargoyle Queen is located in Logan. They are a great resource on all things gargoyle gecko. They specialize in high color animals.
Rebel Reptiles is located in Virgina Beach. You can find them on Facebook.
- Zeke’s Geeky Geckos is located in Bellingham. They have some great striped and white base animals. You can find them on Morph Market and Instagram.
- Ken’s Critters is located in Anacortes. They have striped geckos. You can find them on Morph Market and Instagram.
48. West Virginia
Sky High Geckos is located in Williamson and is a regular vendor at the West Virginia Reptile Expo. You can find them on Facebook.
Weber Exotics is located in Sheboygan. They have some great striped and red base animals in their breeding group.
While it is legal to import gargoyle geckos into the state, you may need a permit. There are no breeders online in the state, so you may want to check reptile expos and classified ads in the state.
How to Pick a Gargoyle Gecko Breeder
When you are looking for a breeder, you need to be sure they are a good one. A good breeder will make sure you get the healthiest gecko that will be with you for a long time.
While you are looking at the online listing, check the reviews. Make sure you pay attention and read for issues like animals that were sick or the breeder not warning before shipping the animal.
The breeder should also be responsive to messages. If they have a phone number listed, try contacting them with questions about the animal you are interested in.
Any breeder should be able to show you pictures and videos of the gecko you want.
They should have basic information like the animal’s weight and diet available upon request. Many breeders keep records on things like the animal’s weight and lineage that you should be given when you buy the animal.
A good breeder will be able to answer your questions on both the gecko and basic care.
They should also be able to give you pictures of the parents so you can see what your animal may look like as an adult.
They will also only sell a gecko once it is eating regularly. Good breeders will never sell to children.
A good breeder is typically happy to answer care questions and questions about the animal since they want their geckos going to good homes.
If you are having an animal shipped to you, the breeder should only ship when the conditions are safe and will only use overnight shipping.
They will also typically use a service meant for live animals. Many breeders now only ship to distribution centers to help keep animals safer as well.
Be sure to ask questions and look elsewhere if you feel like the breeder isn’t knowledgeable. Some breeders will have all their hatchlings checked by a vet. If this is the case, make sure you get the records from this visit.
How to Get on the List
If you breed gargoyle geckos and want to be on the list, all you need to do is provide your location and a bit about you and your business.
Be sure to list what you breed for and a bit about why someone may choose to support you.